https://linkedin.com/in/joelmata | https://github.com/JoelPintoMata/ | email@example.com
Joel Pinto Mata - Senior Software Engineer
I’m a software developer with 12+ years of experience developing backend systems.
Very interested in everything related to BigData, data streaming, scalability, availability, cloud, and systems provisioning. I consider myself a strong communicator and have been increasingly involved in mentoring teams and helping to increase their general performance.
Outside work I like to play with some chatbots and other projects around Go.
Link(s): http://datasearch.elsevier.com, http://data.mendeley.com
At Elsevier, I’m implementing Elsevier’s search engine for research data. I’m closely involved with the core search APIs and ETL pipelines responsible for extracting metadata, data classification, data enrichment, visualization generation, indexing, etc.
Tech. Stack: Java, Spring Boot, Solr, Spark, Apache NiFi, AWS, Gitlab, Jenkins
PublicSonar is a real-time platform for early warning/detection/prediction of events relevant utility and security organisations.
My initial responsibilities included improving of project scalability, availability, and development process.
Some examples included migration from stateful to stateless architectures, micro-services benchmarking and tune, implementation of coding standards and best-practices, integration testing, and CI/CD pipelines.
Tech. Stack: Golang, Kafka, RabbitMq, Mongo, Gitlab
Senior Backend developer at iFlavours, Oct 2015 - Feb 2018
I was brought into iFlavours to help in the implementation of a “Greenfield” e-commerce web-shop and price comparator.
Having joined the team in a very early stage I’ve contributed to all project phases from the architectural definition to the tooling selection, taking into account scalability, availability, and performance. More specifically I’ve been focusing on the development of several microservices for an ETL responsible for orchestrating data aggregation and enrichment.
I was tasked with performance analysis, application profiling, and DevOps duties such as the provision of the systems in the cloud, CI/CD setup, and containerization.
Tech. Stack: Java, Scala, Spring Boot, Play Framework, Spark, Mongo, MariaDB, AWS, Gitlab
At the European Space Agency, I developed and maintained several of their tools for the support of ESA operations related to human resources, workload management, and time tracking systems.
I’ve been furthermore actively engaged in several project requirement analysis, impact analysis, and software design phases.
Tech. Stack: Java, Hibernate, Oracle, Apex
e-commerce platform for travel products
In Globalia I participated as an analyst/full stack developer in the technical redesign of three of their major tourism products related brands: halconviajes.com, viajesecuador.com, and pepetravel.com.
This included improving the scalability and performance of the backend systems, refactoring the existing solution in terms of code quality and maintainability, and implement SEO campaign strategies.
My role at Globalia was twofold: analysis/development and coaching of junior developers.
Tech. Stack: Java, Spring, Hibernate, Oracle
Software developer at OESIA, Apr 2007 - Jul 2009
Software developer at Meitner, Jun 2004 - Jun 2005
Education - Masters in Computer Engineering
- Universidade Nova de Lisboa (FCT), Portugal
Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain - Erasmus/Exchange student
https://webinars.dev - a directory of tech. related webinars.
Tech. Stack: Hugo, Go, Python
https://vicats.com - a cat related tube site.
Tech. Stack: Angular Universal with SSR, AWS DynamoDB
https://storebot.me/bot/nl_ns_bot - a telegram chatbot for the NS train schedule. Among other things, this bot makes use of fuzzy logic for correct station prediction.
Tech. Stack: Golang
https://telegram.me/Unofficial_TheGuardian_Bot - a TheGuardian news telegram chatbot done as a note of appreciation for their fantastic Journalism.
- The Open Group Certified: TOGAF®
- Certified Oracle Certified Master Java SE 6 Developer
- Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 5 Programmer
- Spring Core V3
- ITIL V3 Foundations
- Sun Certified Java Programmer
- Java SE7 Fundamentals
- Configuring and Administering Microsoft SharePoint 2010
- Developing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Core Solutions
- SharePoint 2013 Site Collection and Site Administration
- Strategic Leadership
- Concurrent Programming in Java
- Distributed Programming in Java
- Big Data Analysis with Scala and Spark
- Scala Programming for Data Science - Level 1
- Big Data Foundations - Level 2
- Hadoop Foundations - Level 1
- Spark - Level 1
- UC-RLY3TJ4J - Apache Kafka Series - Kafka Streams for Data Processing
- UC-QTSGFXZT - Software Architecture for the Enterprise Architect
- UC-EJWSNKBU - Develop Amazing Social Skills, Social Confidence, Communication Skills, Self Esteem, Charisma, Self-confidence
- UC-8JKCMH6A - The Emotionally Intelligent Leader
- UC-7HN997FB - Master Real World Management Skills - Practical Exercises to Help You Tackle the 7 Challenges that Every Manager Faces
- UC-BRAOV3P6 - Introduction to Apache NiFi (Hortonworks DataFlow - HDF 2.0)